What do I need to do to practice my medical degree in South Africa?
1. Original application form (form 12) duly completed. Please note that section A and section B of form 12 must be completed by a Medical Practitioner and certified in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths.
2. Proof of holding an appropriate qualification in medicine or dentistry in the country of origin (attach a copy of degree certificate certified by a Notary Public and a sworn translation thereof in English also certified by a Notary Public).
3. Notarised clear copy of Identity Document / Passport
4. Original Certificate of Status not older than three (3) months from date of issue.
5. Endorsement letter from the Foreign Workforce Management Programme (FWMP)
6. Examination fee for Board Exam (where applicable)
7. Registration Fees
8. Pro Rata Annual Fees
9. ECFMG verification.
NB: The Board will assess standard of education and training and determine conditions of registration.
The Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) has partnered with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) to enhance the process through which verification of medical credentials of international practitioners applying for registration to practice medicine in South Africa.
The HPCSA will require medical practitioners who have obtained their qualifications outside of South Africa to use the ECFMGS Electronic Portfolio of International Credentials (EPIC) to have their medical documents verified.
New applicants will be required will be required to establish an EPIC account. They will be required to upload their credentials via this account to be processed for verification.
practice my medical degree in South Africa
ECFMG final verification report (EPIC REPORT) with the following being verified:
i. Medical Diploma
ii. Academic Transcript – must include the following information:
a. The name of subjects covered in every year of study;
b. The content of each subject;
c. Learning outcomes for subjects;
d. Assessment criteria/method.
iii. Internship certificate
iv. Medical Registration/Licensure with your Council
v. Post Graduate training certificates
vi. Postgraduate qualification(s) in speciality (if any)
vii. Specialist registration certificate (if any)